Q:Can you explain why it is haraam? My family often ask me why people say it is haraam and I do not know how to explain it. And does this mean that watching any movie out of cinema is haraam too?
الجواب و بالله التوفيق
A:In Islam, there are many things that are declared as Haram (unlawful) based on the teachings of the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet (S.A.S). These activities and acts are not only haram for one to be involved in by doing these things, but they are equally haram for one to view them. For example, it is not only haram for one to reveal one’s awrah (concealable parts of the body), but it is haram to look at another person’s awrah.
From among the haram things that are present in movies, some are:
- The open mixing and intermingling of the sexes.
- The revealing of the awrah (concealable parts) by both men and women. In this respect, women are dressed in a manner that most of their bodies are revealed.
- The licentious conduct and state of men and women.
- Indecent and immoral behaviour and actions.
- Musical Instruments.
- Singing and dancing.
- Promoting unethical and sinful behaviour.
- Presence of vulgar and wanton conduct.
- Promoting unbounded and restrained relations between boys and girls, and men and women.
- Flirtatious behaviour by men and women.
These and many more are to be found in the movies. Looking at these is totally haram for a Muslim. As such, whether these are shown on the cinema screens, television sets, computers or phones, they are all haram to look at.
Further to this is the fact that the environment of the cinema is filled with sins and wrongdoings, and is considered to be one of the most hated place in the sight of Allah. At cinemas, there are lewdness, indecent dressing by females, promiscuity, immorality, consuming intoxicants, loose and free sinful behaviour between sexes, open mixing and intermingling of sexes, and a huge amount of other haram and sinful acts at these places. Therefore, it will be totally haram to go to the cinema regardless of the movie which is shown.
And Allah Knows Best.
Mufti Waseem Khan.