Question: ASSALAMU ALAYKUM
can you explain who qualifies as a mahram for women?
Wa Alaikum As Salaam,
A mahram for a woman is one with whom marriage is never permitted. These include:
1. One’s children, grand children, great grand children etc.
2. One’s parents, grand parents etc.
3. One’s brothers, uncles, nephews. A brother is one whose mother and father is the same, or they have one father but two different mothers, or one mother but two different fathers. They are all brothers.
4. All the above mentioned categories, when established through fosterage (breast feeding), will also be mahram for women. That is, one’s foster father, brother, son, uncle, nephew etc. will all be Mahram for women.
5. One’s son in law, father in law. (Hidayah Vol. 2 Pgs. 307,308)
And Allah Knows Best.
Mufti Waseem Khan.