I have missed years of obligatory fasts


As Salaamu Alaikum,

I have missed several years of obligatory fasts and now due to a stomach problem I am unable to fast. I tried but I finally develop hyperacidity and immense pain. What is it that I can do? Is there any alternative way to fill in those missed fasts? Is there any kaffarah

Please reply soon


Wa Alaikum As Salaam,

If there is no hope for you to make up the Qaza fasts, then you will be required to pay fidya for everyday missed of the fasts. The amount to be given in fidya is approx. 4 ¾ lbs of wheat or its equivalent in cash which works out to be the similar amount of sadaqatul fitr of that specific year. This amount should be given to the poor/needy for each day of fast which was missed.

And Allah knows best,
Mufti Waseem Khan